TodayJan 9, 2018 From staff reports
In Friday's Ranger, the page 5 story "3 FreCo students get UW's top scholarship" should have included Dubois senior Riley Rux, who plans to study animal and veterinary science.'
Elsie (Hinkle) Griffin, 89, passed away Friday, Jan. 5, 2018, at the home of her daughter and son-in-law in Spring Creek, Nevada, surrounded by family. A visitation will be 5-7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 11,at the Chapel of Mount Hope in Hudson's Funeral Home in Lander. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday, January 12, at the First United Methodist Church in Lander.A lunch will be held at the church immediately following the service, with internment to follow at 2:30 p.m. at Mountain View Cemetery in Riverton.
Thursday, January 11
Stars of Tomorrow Auditions will be held 5:30-8:30 p.m. at Riverton Middle School. Applications can be picked up at all Riverton K-12 schools or Wyoming Community Bank. Applications must be turned in no later than January 5. For more information contact Riverton Kiwanis member Melanie Sims at 307-857-9050 or email@example.com.
A town hall meeting will be held 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Shoshoni Senior Citizens Center, 214 E. Second St. in Shoshoni, to discuss the future of local elections. Discussion also will include use of 1 percent optional sales tax funds.
Friday, January 12
Shoshoni Women's 5 Shot Rabbit Team Hunt & live band will begin at 6p.m. at the Shoshoni Fire Hall.
Saturday, January 13
Shoshoni Women's 5 Shot Rabbit Team Hunt breakfast will be served at the Shoshoni Fire hall before the hunt. Awards will be presented at the Fire Hall at 104 E. 2nd Street Shoshoni, WY call 850-8242 or 876-2450.
Squirt hockey players will play Douglas at 7 p.m. at the rink on the corner of Smith Road and Park Avenue. Concessions are available; dress warmly.
Wild West Winter Carnival Ice Sculpting will begin at 9 a.m. Meet at Jerry's Flowers and Things for ice assignments. Judging will be done at 2:30 p.m. Pre-register at the Riverton Chamber of Commerce by January 12.
The Opera House Film will air at the Lander library from 12:30 p.m. to 2:20 p.m. in the Carnegie Room. The free film open to the public explores the creation of the new Met.
The Indoor Winter Car Show will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Fremont Center of the Fremont County Fairgrounds. Food will be available, admission is free and cost is $20 to register a car. The event is hosted by the Rocky Mountain Rebels Car Show and Autocross.
Empty Bowl Soup 'n More at the Lander Senior Center from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Enjoy a delicious meal of soup and more provided by Lander restaurants and businesses. Proceeds benefit the Lander Care & Share Food Bank. Tickets are $35 per person (advance) or $40 at the door.
A green chili dinner and silent auction is 4-7 p.m. at the Boot Bar, 702 E. Main St. in Riverton. All proceeds go to Hailee Lynch and her daughter, Skyla Spoonhunter, to help them rebuild their lives.
Bumps, Babies, and Breasts will be from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the Riverton Library. The event is hosted by Birth Essence and welcomes pregnant mothers and those who are currently breastfeeding. All breastfeeding questions are welcome. Parents will be provided with information on latching on and positioning, and have the opportunity to meet other mothers.
The Missoula Children's Theatre performance of "Treasure Island" is at 3 p.m. in the Robert A. Peck Arts Center Theater on the Central Wyoming College campus. Tickets are available at the CWC Box Office for $10 for adults, $8 for seniors and $5 for ages 6-18. The box office is open 3-6 p.m. weekdays beginning Jan. 8. Tickets also are available at tickets.cwc.edu.
Information in this column is taken from official law enforcement reports. An arrest is a preliminary step in the legal process. It does not mean that a person has been found guilty of a crime. By law, persons who are arrested are innocent until proven guilty through due legal processes.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday:
-Gregory Chavez, 50, of Riverton, was arrested at about 4:30 a.m. Friday in the 300 block of West Washington Avenue for false reporting. Reports state he called police to report that someone had been shot and was "about to die." When officials arrived at the scene, they said he just needed a ride somewhere.
- Police responded at about 8:20 a.m. Friday to reports that someone was using a credit card fraudulently in the Riverton area.
- Police responded at about 9:45 a.m. Friday to reports that someone had tried to steal body wash from a store in the 500 block of East Pershing Avenue. Officials said a store employee confronted the suspect, who "threw (the body wash) and left."
- No injuries were recorded in a minor traffic incident reported at about 11:25 a.m. Friday in the 1700 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Kenneth Shakespeare, 31, of Arapahoe, was arrested at about 11:30 a.m. Friday in the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard for public intoxication.
- Danny Daniels, 34, of Riverton, was arrested at about 11:35 a.m. Friday in the 100 block of Shortite Drive on a felony warrant out of Alabama.
Chauncey Friday, 51 of Ethete, was cited at about 11:45 a.m. Friday in the 500 block of South Broadway for vandalism. Officials said he damaged a screen at a vacant apartment.
No injuries were recorded in a minor traffic incident reported at about 12:30 p.m. Friday in the 700 block of East Monroe Avenue.
Dallas Dresser, 30, of St. Stephen's, was arrested at about 4:45 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of North Federal Boulevard for public intoxication and resisting. Officials said she was uncooperative when police were putting her in the back of the patrol car; reports state she "kept kicking" at police, who pepper sprayed her.
Leslie Forrest, 51, of Riverton, was arrested at about 5:10 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard for driving under the influence.
Canada Long, 33, of Riverton, was arrested at about 11 p.m. Friday in the 900 block of Flag Drive on three Fremont County Sheriff's Office warrants; Long also was cited for driving under suspension and a stop sign violation.
Gary Biglake, 43, of St. Stephen's, was arrested at about 3:50 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of North Federal Boulevard on a Fremont County Sheriff's Office warrant.
A pipe was logged in after it was found at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of South Fifth Street East.
James Wheeler, 48, of Lander, was arrested at about 3:10 p.m. Sunday in the 900 block of East Park Avenue for public intoxication and on a Riverton municipal warrant.
Police responded to several calls Sunday evening regarding a suspected drunken driver. One report came in at about 5:30 p.m. Sunday from the 100 block of North Federal Boulevard. Later in the evening, officials said the vehicle was "spinning cookies" and struck a vehicle in the 3000 block of College Hill Drive. Then, officials said, the suspect vehicle struck a parked vehicle in the 300 block of West Monroe Avenue; the suspect driver fled the scene on foot, and the suspect vehicle was impounded.
Jennifer Curry, 24, of Riverton, was arrested at about 10:45 a.m. Monday in the 800 block of North Federal Boulevard on four Fremont County Sheriff's Office warrants.
Police responded at about 1:30 p.m. Monday to reports of fraudulent charges on a gas account in the 500 block of North Broadway.
Martin Blueford, 22, of Riverton, was arrested at about 2 p.m. Monday in the 300 block of North Broadway on an arrest and hold for probation revocation.
Devan Perez, 36, of Ethete, was arrested at about 5 p.m. Monday in the 400 block of West Adams Avenue for probation revocation.
Wallace Jenkins, 35, of Riverton, was arrested at about 9 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of East Monroe Avenue on a Riverton municipal warrant.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Monday:
-No injuries were recorded in a traffic incident reported at about 7:50 a.m. Friday in the 700 block of Missouri Valley Road.
- Injuries were recorded in a traffic incident reported at about 3:50 p.m. Friday in the 11200 block of Wyoming Highway 789 near Riverton. Initial reports indicate a car ran off of the road; the Wyoming Highway Patrol responded.
- Deputies responded at about 4:45 p.m. Friday to reports that a black horse was on the road in the 3800 block of U.S. Highway 26 near Dubois.
- Deputies responded at about 2:15 p.m. Saturday to reports that someone had struck a fence on Gardens North Drive in Riverton.
- Deputies responded at about 4:50 p.m. Saturday to reports of sheep on the road in the 1600 block of North Smith Road in Riverton. The same issue was reported at about 10:35 a.m. Monday in the same area.
- Frank Gonzales, 38, of Casper, was arrested at about 5:10 p.m. Saturday in the 10200 block of Wyoming Highway 789 south of Riverton for driving under the influence. Initial reports indicate he was sleeping in a truck.
- Deputies responded at about 5:45 p.m. Saturday to reports that a vehicle had struck a deer in the 1100 block of Missouri Valley Road near Shoshoni. The reporting party said the vehicle had left the scene and the deer was still alive.
- Deputies responded at about 8:30 a.m. Sunday to reports of horses in the road in the 700 block of Eight Mile Road west of Riverton.
- No injuries were recorded in a traffic incident reported at about 1 p.m. Sunday in the 300 block of South Indiana Avenue in Hudson. The reporting party said he backed his vehicle out of a driveway and "slid and hit another car."
- No injuries were recorded in a traffic incident reported at about 6:20 p.m. Sunday on North Hidden Valley Road near Shoshoni. Initial reports indicate a vehicle struck a cow.
- Deputies responded at about 11 a.m. Monday to reports of vandalism to a bathroom on Big Horn Drive in Dubois.
- Deputies responded at about 5:40 p.m. Monday to reports of a break-in at an office at a construction site in the 3900 block of Ore Road near Jeffrey City. The reporting party said the incident took place at the end of December; there are no suspects.
- Deputies responded at about 5:50 p.m. Monday to reports that a vehicle had struck a deer in the 6500 block of Wyoming Highway 789 near Lander.
- Lyric Chingman, 21, of Fort Washakie, was arrested on three Fremont County warrants for failure to appear.
- Broderick Hopper, 23, of Riverton, was arrested on a court order.